21 April 2006

From Zagreb

I came to Zagreb yesterday to teach a class and meet next Tuesday with the folklore institute here. In the meantime I have time to explore the city. So far the weather has been ideal, sunny and not too hot. Flowers are blooming, birds are singing, and it's full on spring here. Zagreb is the capital of Croatia, and is a very manageable and lovely city. Lots of grand architecture, public squares, gardens, museums, and shops. People jam the cafes everywhere I've been, and many cafes there are.

Yesterday I visited the cathedral, which is under some renovation, and was mostly rebuilt during the 19th century after an earthquake hit the area. It's very beautiful in its neo-gothic design. I also wandered many streets before teaching a class, where the students were very smart, asking excellent questions.

Then today I have so far visited two nice museums, the ethnography museum, mostly with traditional costumes, and some furniture and textiles, and a private collection donated to the state that is now in an old high school. It's very large and eclectic as private collections go, with everything from prehistoric art (from cave art in Europe to Egyptian, Roman, Etruscan and Greek, etc.) to Chinese pottery, Persian rugs, European paintings, medieval icons, and ancient Italian and Egyptian glass. So it was a good morning.

I had lunch at a Mexican restaurant, first one I've seen since I left the States. It's not the best Mexican food I've ever had, but it was decent.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some photos maybe..:0)

You can find some vegeterian food and lovely cakes in "Ivica i Marica" (basically Hansel and Gretel) in Tkalciceva 70 (street with loads of cafes and bars leading towards Upper Town).
Also Makronova (ILica 72) serves macrobiotic vegan food.

Make sure you check out Dolac, Zagreb's biggest farmer's market, just off the main square.

The Museum you mentioned sounds like Mimara, if I'm not mistaken.

There is a current Van Gogh & Mondriaan exhibition in Klovicevi dvori (Upper Town), if you are interested.

Fri Apr 21, 08:51:00 PM GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to say you can get some Japanese food in Takenoko restaurant (Centar Kaptol) or Thai food in Opium (Centre Branimir).

Just in case you want a break from Croatian food for a day or two :)

Fri Apr 21, 09:00:00 PM GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures Mary. The trip seems really interesting.

Andy

Tue Apr 25, 03:24:00 AM GMT+2  
Blogger Mary said...

Thanks Barbara (where do I know you from?) for the info. I did eat at Macronova one day and had an excellent lunch there. I also tried to eat at the Thai restaurant but they were closed. And I very much enjoyed the farmer's market. Bess and I bought stuff there Saturday and she made a nice dinner from it for us. I also wandered back streets up to old town and tasted many delicious pastries. Though I never did get any "strukli" (or something like that), which I was wanting to taste, and which doesn't get served much in Rijeka.

And it was the Minmara museum. I also walked for hours through the Botannical gardens, and the parks of the "green horseshoe" (a planned series of parks throughout this part of the city).

Wed Apr 26, 09:20:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home