23 March 2006

Second Class (with a little on Flannery)


My research methods class met again last night. I had prepared a lot to talk about and some exercises, so we did not really have much discussion. Fewer students came last night than the first week, 12 I think. There are 39 on the roll, but apparently all those with other majors (history, philosophy, Croatian, etc.) who will write a thesis focused in that area will not come to this class at all. So I'm not sure why they are on the roll. But we had a pretty good class I think. At one point I told them about a Flannery O'Connor story. The example I was using about analyzing literature was based on one of her stories -- "Good Country People" -- so I briefly explained the plot. I set it up by describing Joy/Hugla's personality, her artificial leg, her mother, her lifestyle. Then I told them about the Bible salesman and the trip the two took up into the barn loft. I explained that Hulga was feeling superior in her seduction of the man. Then I asked them what they thought would happen next. They did not make any guesses. When I told them that he stole her leg, they all burst out laughing. I tried to explain a little of the Southern Gothic tradition. They seemed appreciative, so maybe I'll try to give them a copy of the story. Apparently Flannery is translated into Croatian, but so far I have not found too many people who have heard of her. My office mate who is a writer (and has spent time -- partly in grad school -- in the States and Canada) does know of her work. By the way, the town I live in (Milledgeville, GA) and the university where I teach (Georgia College) is the hometown and alma mater of this great writer of whom I speak, Flannery O'Connor.

Mostly the class last night was about how to write a thesis statement and conceive of a research project. I had a long day yesterday since the class is in the evening. On the way home, at about 7:45 pm, I decided to stop and get a little pizza for dinner at the pizzeria closest to my house. It was quite good (the classic Margerita), with a thicker crust than is often the case with pizzas here. It came in the same kind of take out box that we have back home. I carried it through the rain (just sprinkling mostly) and ate it at home. By the way, I want to correct one impression I gave in an earlier post about Croatian TV. I think I said most of the films they show are violent and bloody, but I've discovered that's not true. I've seen a number of pretty good art films and what would be called independent or alternative films back home on TV here too. For instance last night they played Surviving Picasso with Anthony Hopkins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home